astro-Retreat in Leh
Leh, a high altitude desert, located in trans-himalayans region in the Union territory of Ladakh is paradise of adventure travellers and astronomy enthusiasts. With Bortle class 1 skies all along, the place offers one of the best skies in India with majestic Himalayas all around. The average elevation of the Union territory is 3550m of 11,650ft.
The trip highlights:
- High altitude desert ensures stable atmosphere for sharp images.
- Isolated location hence darkest of skies available in India.
- 3000 KM (approximately) of sheer adventure and fun.
- 4 nights of Deep Space Astrophotography & Stargazing.
- 11 nights of NightScapes, wide angle astrophotography (subject to clear skies).
- Accommodation on all nights in best possible options in terms of comfort and sky conditions.*
- All meals included during the trip.*
- Transport in luxury vehicle (Innova/Ertiga/Creta) included.*
*Accommodation in these remote places are usually arranged either at cheap motels or homestays. Finding either one in the peak season is a luxury. However the beauty of the place is unparalleled and you will be amazed by the beautiful vistas during the day and amazing night skies during the night.
*Meals would be a mix of Indian, local and fast food cuisine.
Please read our COVID-19 Guidelines to understand how we are ensuring your safety while you enjoy the night sky.
Generic Program detail
Equipment can be chosen from:
- 8″(203mm) Dobsonian
- 5.1″(130mm) Collapsable Table Top Dobsonian
- 25X100 Giant Binoculars
- NexStar 130 SLT
- NexStar 114 SLT
- Celestron CG-5 GT Mount with Orion 100mm Refractor and one astro-camera
- Celestron Advanced VX mount with Celestron C8 8″ SCT telescopes with astro-camera.
- Since the stay will be at a variety of places, there are no fixed details on this. Once the bookings are done, we can go ahead with these details.
- Astronomy gear for visual observation and astrophotography with experts.
- Astrophotography expertise on your own equipment.
- Availability of special cameras and filters for your testing and imaging.
- Usually cold to very cold. Nights can be freezing cold even in summer season. Carry heavy woollens with gloves, cap and woollen socks. Rainfall is rarely witnessed. An umbrella or plastic bags for your equipment might be a good idea to carry.
THINGS TO CARRY
- Carry heavy woollens.
- Carry your Telescope, camera, all accessories and tripod.
- Carry your medicines, and other essential items. Make sure to carry Dimox or similar drug as AMS can be fatal.
- Carry some snacks and chocolates for night munching and on the journey.