astro-Retreat in Leh
Leh, a high altitude desert, located in trans-himalayans region in the Union territory of Ladakh is paradise of adventure travellers and astronomy enthusiasts. With Bortle class 1 skies all along, the place offers one of the best skies in India with majestic Himalayas all around. The average elevation of the Union territory is 3550m of 11,650ft.
The trip highlights:
- High altitude desert ensures stable atmosphere for sharp images.
- Isolated location hence darkest of skies available in India.
- 3000 KM (approximately) of sheer adventure and fun.
- 4 nights of Deep Space Astrophotography & Stargazing.
- 11 nights of NightScapes, wide angle astrophotography (subject to clear skies).
- Accommodation on all nights in best possible options in terms of comfort and sky conditions.*
- All meals included during the trip.*
- Transport in luxury vehicle (Innova/Ertiga/Creta) included.*
*Accommodation in these remote places are usually arranged either at cheap motels or homestays. Finding either one in the peak season is a luxury. However the beauty of the place is unparalleled and you will be amazed by the beautiful vistas during the day and amazing night skies during the night.
*Meals would be a mix of Indian, local and fast food cuisine.
Please read our COVID-19 Guidelines to understand how we are ensuring your safety while you enjoy the night sky.
Generic Program detail
14 day Tentative Itinerary for the program
- Day 01 – July 03 – Delhi – Jammu/Udampur
- Day 02 – July 04 – Jammu/Udhampur – Srinagar – Sonmarg
- Day 03 – July 05 – Sonmarg – Kargil
- Day 04 – July 06 – Kargil – Leh
- Day 05 – July 07 – Leh – Observation Site
- Day 06 – July 08 – Observation Site
- Day 07 – July 09 – Observation Site
- Day 08 – July 10 – Observation Site
- Day 09 – July 11 – Observation Site – Pangong lake
- Day 10 – July 12 – Pangong Lake – Pang
- Day 11 – July 13 – Pang – Sarchu
- Day 12 – July 14 – Sarchu – Keylong
- Day 13 – July 15 – Keylong – Manali
- Day 14 – July 16 – Manali – Delhi.
Places of Interest
- Jawahar Tunnel – Transit from Jammu to Kashmir valley.
- Dal lake – A drive around this lake in Srinagar along with possibility of Shikara rides
- Zoji La – Highest moterable pass along Srinagar – Leh Highway.
- Dras War Memorial,
- Confluence of Indus and Zanskar Rivers
- Magnetic Hill, Pattan sahib Gurudwara.
- Leh, Shanti Stupa, Monestries etc
- Khardung La – The official Highest motorable road in the world with 5700m+ altitude.
- Pangong Tso – The border lake has a solar telescope installed by IIA.
- Keylong – District HQ of Lahaul Valley.
Things one can do on this trip
- If you are an adventure lover, the journey in itself is an adventure.
- Take stunning images of the beautiful night sky with wildly changing vistas.
- 4N 5D of deep space imaging from a fixed station while 11 nights of wide angle imaging session.
- Visiting high mountain passes, seeing Snow covered peaks and transforming scenery every time, it’s time to experience the heavens on Earth.
- You can choose to drive self or take public transport or even fly in and enjoy.
- Make memories and new friends.
- Plenty to places to visit
- Many alternate destinations once can explore apart from the itinerary.
- Since the stay will be at a variety of places, there are no fixed details on this. Once the bookings are done, we can go ahead with these details.
- Astronomy gear for visual observation and astrophotography with experts.
- Astrophotography expertise on your own equipment.
- Availability of special cameras and filters for your testing and imaging.
- Usually cold to very cold. Nights can be freezing cold even in summer season. Carry heavy woollens with gloves, cap and woollen socks. Rainfall is rarely witnessed. An umbrella or plastic bags for your equipment might be a good idea to carry.
THINGS TO CARRY
- Carry heavy woollens.
- Carry your Telescope, camera, all accessories and tripod.
- Carry your medicines, and other essential items. Make sure to carry Dimox or similar drug as AMS can be fatal.
- Carry some snacks and chocolates for night munching and on the journey.